Well the only one I can really think of is lots of knitting time. Our recent drive to Dartmouth, NS from Kingston, ON left me with 3 socks and a few rows or shawl. I was so into the shawl it didn’t occur to me that maybe I should abandon it when I got in the car until such time as I could have lots of room and an easy place to read the chart. I worked on it for the first few hours and then hit a mistake that I just couldn’t figure out so into the bag it went. I had some interesting Van Der Rocks Yarn in yellow/purple/green which I got from Steph at a yarn swap we had at my house in July. I ha dplanned to find an interesting but somewhat simple pattern for these socks but after the shawl frustrations I decided that plain sock knitting was far more suitable for driving. By the time we got to Dartmouth I had 1 1/2 socks finished and I put them aside until the return.
It was great to see my family and friends again and there was lots of visiting to do with a new baby. Rowan was very well behaved and quite sociable, which made things easy for me. He did not, however, sleep at night very well. Sometimes at night he’ll wake and cry a bit then go back to sleep but when I was in the same room this just didn’t work. If I
ignored him he got up on his knees and looked at me through the bars holding on like he was trapped in a prison and screaming. This left me a very tired Mom but gave me knitting time during daytime naps. That time was supposed to be spent working on the Black-capped Chickadee Birds of North America account which I am supposed to be writing. My brain was, however, just not up to the task in its sleep deprived state so I made a much larger Aztec hat, and a pair of cabled owl mitts (Give a Hoot) for yours truly. I had attempted the Aztec hat before and cast-on fewer stitches than called for thinking that my smaller than average sized head would fit perfectly. The hat was very small so that now Rowan I have matching Aztec hats.
I also finished my Turtle to go with Nick’s baby blanket. I had intended to make Sheldon but didn’t really feel like following the quite extensive instructions. I also had no intention of knitting extra shells for said Turtle so couldn’t see the point of going to the trouble of knitting a removable shell just to complicate things. So instead I made Trudie the turtle. She was quite a satisfying knit. She only took a day and a half and more importantly she looks anatomically like an actual turtle. While this may not be important to some, it is very important to a biologist. If you made her in the right colours and stuck her on a log in a pond, you may just fool a few naturalists (at a distance of course).
On the way home I finished my socks and then started a pair for the driver. He really wanted a pair of bamboo ankle socks and while I’d bought the yarn thinking of a pattern in a book I had brough with me I figured he did deserve a pair of socks for all his hard driving work and plain sock knitting did work well for me in the car. The first sock was done just about a half hour from home. The second one is still in progress and may be for some time as knitting time seems limited these days. For one I’ve finally had to start working even though I am still exhausted as deadlines are approaching and although they will not be met, I should at least start before they arrive.
Knitting time is also limited now that I have a crawler on my hands. Rowan learned to get back to sitting on our way to NS and learned to crawl within a day of us arriving. Several days later he could pull himself up. Playtime these days requires considerable more supervision not to mention cuddling and soothing after head bumps and bangs. Now I’m quickly learning what sorts of rearrangements I need to do to keep little Rowan out of trouble.
Off to Chapters for knitting tonight. It will be one of the few times where Dani hasn’t been there. She’s just moved away to Hong Kong and will be greatly missed.